Editor’s note: The application is now closed. Thank you for your interest!
We would like to extend a special invitation for you to participate in a FREE NASA Space Science training, “It’s A New Moon” and the LADEE Mission Launch on September 5–6, 2013 (weather permitting), located near NASA Wallops Flight Facility, Wallops, Virginia!
New discoveries have revealed that the Moon is a far more dynamic place than we had previously thought! The next NASA mission to the Moon, LADEE (Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer), will orbit the Moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere, conditions near the surface, and environmental influences on lunar dust. A thorough understanding of these influences will help researchers understand how future exploration may shape the lunar environment and how the environment may affect future travelers to the Moon.
During the experience you will:
- Join educators from the Lunar and Planetary Institute’s Explore program team for hands-on activities and ideas for presenting space science programs to young audiences and families.
- Meet NASA scientists and engineers involved in lunar exploration and the latest mission to our Moon.
- Learn about LADEE’s mission to orbit the Moon and study its (very thin and dusty) atmosphere—helping researchers to understand the thin atmospheres found on Mercury, some asteroids, and other moons and provide insights into how Earth’s own atmosphere works.
- Learn about lunar science, missions, and future exploration.
- Undertake hands-on science activities designed for engaging children ages eight to thirteen.
- Receive activity guides, and programming resources (posters, book lists, suggested web sites, etc.).
- Collaborate with public library staff, camp professionals, and other informal educators from all over the U.S. and become part of the growing Explore community.
- Receive a $1,200 stipend (sent out after completion of the workshop).
- Get a VIP tour of Wallops Flight Facility (attendance not required, but recommended).
- Experience the launch of the newest mission to our Moon: LADEE! (attendance not required, but recommended).
The launch is scheduled to take place on September 6, 2013, at 11:27 p.m. ET as of July 16, 2013. Launch date is subject to change.
Apply online by Friday, August 2, 2013. Space is limited, and will be restricted to forty participants that will be selected from the registrations received. Thirty participants will also receive a $1,200 stipend following the workshop. Participants selected to attend the workshop will be notified by the end of the day on Monday, August 5, 2013, by Explore program staff. Selected applicants must commit to:
- Confirming participation before close of business on August 7, 2013.
- Completing an online stipend form before close of business August 9, 2013.
- Holding at least three children’s/family programs within the next year utilizing workshop materials and resources. One of these should be a LADEE mission event to be held at your facility.
Please call 281-638-2442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.