Discover how robotic explorers continue to advance our understanding of the Red Planet! The experience is free. Registration is limited to forty participants. Participants are responsible for travel, housing, meal costs, and all logistical arrangements. A stipend of up to $,1200 is available for thirty participants. Activities will take place at the NASA Kennedy Space Center in Merritt Island, Florida.
During the experience you will:
- join educators from the Lunar and Planetary Institute’s Explore program team for hands-on activities and ideas for presenting space science programs to young audiences and families;
- learn about Mars science and exploration;
- meet NASA scientists and engineers involved in Mars exploration and the latest mission to Mars.
- learn about MAVEN’s mission to orbit Mars and study its atmosphere—helping researchers answer the question, what happened to the water on Mars?;
- undertake hands-on science activities designed for engaging children ages eight to thirteen;
- receive activity guides and programming resources (posters, book lists, suggested web sites, etc.);
- collaborate with public library and camp professionals from all over the U.S. and become part of the growing Explore community; and
- experience a tour of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center and the launch of the newest mission to Mars, MAVEN!* (attendance not required, but recommended).
*As of September 17, 2013, launch is scheduled to take place at 1:27 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 18, 2013. Launch date is subject to change due to weather conditions and technology issues.
Apply online by Friday, October 4, 2013. Space is limited! Selected applicants will be notified no later than 5 p.m. Central Time on October 7, 2013. Selected applicants must commit to confirming participation before close of business (local time) October 9; completing an online stipend form before close of business (local time) October 17 (it’s easy, really!); and holding at least three children’s/family programs within the next year utilizing workshop materials and resources. One of these should be a MAVEN mission event to be held at your facility.